WEEK 1 "Not a rest week"

No joke.. You better have some goals or I don't think you will/can do the work. This is not for those who want to rest during the Fall
OK I STARTED THE Advanced Plan today. I have 3 weeks of CX workouts in so far(CTL of 84 and an ATL of 110) so I am ready to roll into this. My first big Race is VEGAS CX uci 2 www.crossvegas.com/ in 2 weeks. The goal is repeat the first 2 weeks so I can roll with this plan all the way to nationals. I will probably modify the workload a bit to have a mini taper for Vegas. Then I should be able to follow it dead on from the end of September to nationals in Kansas(restart the plan October 1st). Who would of thought I would/could race CX this year after destroying L1 last winter.


DAY 1: NOT A REST DAY..... OUCH! I didn't think this would be that bad, but it hurt. I did half on the trainer and 1/2 outside on the CX bike. That was a pain, but it got my DOGS
out running. The 3 x 10 minute HURT with the 20 Second bursts every 2min(start with a stomp) it makes it easier mentally. I couldn't hit 200% of threshold, but I guess that is something to work towards. I had a rad BLOW-OUT of 375avg. on the trainer. One of the more solid 5 minute efforts I have done indoor seated. The 3 by 1's hurt something FIERCE. I got them done and rode around tempo for awhile on the CX bike. 2 HOURS and 128TSS for the day!

Day 2: Woke up sore... RUN with the pups. I have been running for a few weeks so I did 5 Hills hard and 3 by 1 minute in the deep grass. 35 Minutes total Lifted the bike and CORE.
-tonight I will do 60-90 minutes on the CX bike working on 180's

Day 3: This was hard 5 x8 min+blowout CX bike on gravel/trails. I couldn't keep the watts up but still solid 90%. Broke this into 2 rides morning/night. 6 x1min on cx tonight. This will be 3.5 hours and 161 TSS easy.
DID 4x2 minute mini-race laps and 4x40 sec practice starts (replacing the 6x1) These were brutal with tired legs from this morning.
Day 4: OK legs HURT this morning before the run. I jogged slow ....After 5 x 1 minute hills they actually felt better. I did 10 more short hills. Nothing Epic but a solid 30-40 of moving. GOAL IS TO MAKE SOME GOALS TODAY.
DAY 5: FEEL great today...Yep MICRO burst my fav!! Damn I made it through 3 of them then Half of the last one. More like 135% and AVG watts were threshold. ON CX bike/grass ..... I could have done them all but I have a burely weekend planned an decided this was enough. 10 by 12 second starts were rad. I hope by Dec I can do a better job hitting the pedal faster. 103 TSS

5 comments:

Mr. Evans said...

I would love to know more specific breakdowns of the workouts. How much recover and what 3 by 1s might look like.

sam krieg said...

www.trainingpeaks.com/hunter/#WattagebasedCyclocrossTrainingPlanIntermediate12-15hours

You can see more here. I ended up doing the 1 minute efforts just like a CX start. From a stand still foot unclipped and then just ripped it down a gravel road for 1 minute till I wanted to VOMIT. Finished it out of the saddle all out. I could barely breath by the end. I was fully pegged.

Manville said...

You will be smoked by Nats!!! You need to rest more.

sam krieg said...

No doubt this will be some solid work. (But really just 8 hard weeks of solid training)
I have 2 years of power files where I have rested more and trained less. I didn't seem to get any faster during the season just stayed the same all year. Last year I pushed a bit more in training and by Nationals I rode into 30th in the elite race. A stellar ride for me. I started in 60th and moved up the whole race. The great thing about doing the CX season with power will be....... If the watts start to fall off I will rest/back off. I seem to find my Threshold power during the road season is near 5.5+ watts to kilo at its peak, and in CX it always drops to below 5. My training load is always so low in CX I have found I de-train a bit. My five minute during the road season when I am FRIED is still near 6.2-6.5 to kilo. During CX season I can barely 6 at best. I would like to have a CTL near 100 MID season. If I rest hard before Mega races I think I will have stellar legs. I know what I have done in the past hasn't really worked. It is certainly enough to get some decent results...but not enough to win masters nats. I know anything can happen in a CX race but I would like to have the fitness to ride a super STRONG hour. This plan is pretty Mega...but from looking at the past 3 years I know I have to up the bar a bit if I expect some results. I think a bit of over-reaching will do my CX season some good. I will suffer a bit early on.... but I think my Jingle CX in IOWA(end NOVEMBER) I will be super strong.

Manville said...

Good Luck man!